I’m not going to lie.
I want you to be excited about today. I wanted you to go to bed last night with those excited butterflies in your tummy like I always did. I want you to wake up and jump out of bed with a smile on your face that stretches from one ear to the other. I want you to pick a special meal, a favorite restaurant, your outfit for the day. I want you to be excited for people to greet you all day long. I want you to go to bed with that same smile from the morning, while clutching a new favorite item. Your whole body filled with that customary happiness most children feel on the best day of the year. The only day on the calendar, out of all 365, that really matters.
Today is your 5th birthday.
But, to you, it’s just Thursday.
View original post 1,989 more words
- iPad Technology for Non-Verbal Individuals with Autism (lkscalesautismblog.wordpress.com)
- Looking for resources on autism (ask.metafilter.com)
- Autism – Different not Less – The importance of belief. (lkscalesautismblog.wordpress.com)
VAST (Video Assisted Speech Technology) “Brings true meaning to the educational power of apps for kids. Extraordinary work” –apps4kids
Exciting New iPad Technology for Non-Verbal Individuals with Autism
According to recent statistics, autism is the fastest growing developmental disability in the U.S. today. Autism affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys. About 40% of children with autism do not talk at all. Another 25%-30% of children with autism have some words at 12-18 months of age and then lose them. Others may speak, but not until later in childhood. In 20 years there has been a 600% increase in the cases of autism. About a third to a half of those individuals will not develop enough natural speech to meet their daily communication needs.
Thanks to recent technology like the iPad/iPod Touch a groundbreaking and exciting therapeutic technique to teach non-verbal students to use spoken language has…
View original post 1,673 more words
Be sure to check in the comments on the blog page listed below for some other links to apps for special needs as well. 🙂
- Caring for Your Special Needs Child: The Special Needs Trust (slideshare.net)
- A “Special” Kind of Blog Hop: Stronger Together (chaosorganized25.wordpress.com)
- iPad Mini Giveaway #3: Girl Power edition! (smartappsforkids.com)
- Encouragement for Parents of Kids with Special Needs: Kindness (jenniferajanes.com)
- Autism Awareness and Acceptance – This Autism Mothers Take on the never ending Autism Debate. (seventhvoice.wordpress.com)
- Autism Awareness and Acceptance – This Autism Mothers Take on the never ending Autism Debate. (thestimmer.wordpress.com)
- This Could be My Boy.. (loorducation.wordpress.com)